These instructions supersede all manufacturers’ application instructions and should be strictly adhered to – Michigan PreStain is not responsible for claims if these instructions are not followed.
Storage and Handling of Factory Finished Products
- Store off ground and under dry cover
- Cover the material with a tarp to keep it clean and dry
- The material must be stored flat and well supported
- Install material as soon as possible
- Handle with care to avoid damage
Installation: Cedar – Fiber Cement – Engineered Products
- Do not remove protective slip sheeting prior to installation
- Verify the color and materials are correct, installation denotes acceptance
- Cut out any unacceptable defects prior to installation
- Install materials according to manufacturers application instructions except when those instructions contradict this factory finish specific installation instructions
- Caulking regular sidewall seams is not recommended. Use extreme care if you elect to caulk sidewall seams, as the caulk is never an exact match.
- For moisture control apply proper flashing behind sidewall seams (felt paper is commonly used with fiber cement products – Aluminum Flashing or Caulk is required for SmartSide products)
- Apply caulking to seams for corners, windows, doors, etc…per substrate manufacturer installation instructions
- Coat cut ends using touch-up kit – Apply coating to edge only – any coating allowed on the face of the product may result in spotting – we are not responsible for spotting or improper end cut touch-up. Failure to coat end cuts can void warranties.
- When applying finish to nail heads, DO NOT use the large applicator provided with our touch-up kits, ALWAYS USE the smaller touch-up pen for nail head touch-up. We are not responsible for spotting from nail head touch-ups.